Wheaton Municipal Band Assistant Announcer
Job Related Duties
• Fill in for the announcer when the announcer is unavailable for the concert performance. A guarantee of at least one concert per season will be given.
• Attend a concert prior to assignment to observe the regular announcer and understand the flow and interaction between the announcer, the Music Director and the band.
• Prior to each concert of the WMB, research, write and/or prepare program notes on musical selections as necessary, in order to provide those notes as introductions for the audience.
• At concerts of the WMB: • Introduce/announce musical selections, guest artists and conductors, and soloists from within the band as appropriate,
• Make promotional announcements as appropriate and approved by the conductor/music director and/or WMB leadership
• Narrate musical selections with band accompaniment as appropriate and directed by the conductor/music director.
• Discuss each concert’s programming and format with the conductor/music director prior to each concert in order to facilitate a smooth and effective flow during the concert.
• The announcer may be asked to participate in Board meeting or other leadership discussions as appropriate.
• Monitor inclement weather conditions and notify board member/conductor if a storm is approaching to allow the audience and band members to reach safety prior to the storm.
Skills and Experience Required
• Proven public speaking experience, especially large-group speaking…experience in announcing for musical groups a plus.
• Enthusiastic approach to announcing
• Welcoming and approachable personality – you are dealing with the public and will be the face of the band.
• Adaptability – this is a dynamic experience and our announcer must adjust and react quickly.
• Professional appearance
• 2 professional
• 1 personal
• 15 minute interview
• A score with program notes will be given and the applicant will have 1 week to prepare an introduction to the piece. Applicant will also be given a bulleted list of sponsor information to weave into an introduction.
• A simulation of a last minute change will be given to demonstrate the applicant’s ability to think on their feet and react to the dynamic environment.
1) Fill out Google form at this link --> https://goo.gl/forms/wuflL7Abm77TctN03
2) Email your resume to WheatonMunicipalBand@gmail.com
3) Semifinalists will be notified - Interviews will be scheduled on June 5th & 6th