In Black & White: Art Meets Writing
Call for Writers and Artists
Devoid of color but full of content, Artists and writers will be partnered up for a unique exhibition In Black and White. Artists are encouraged to submit work in any media but must be produced using Black and White only. Writer will submit sample works for consideration. Accepted artwork will be shared with allocated to a writer who will used the artwork as inspiration for a short writing piece (500 words or less) to be exhibited with the artwork.
All accepted artwork and paired writing will be included in an exhibition, online exhibit, and print catalog.
Artist Submission Deadline: Friday, June 1, 2018
Writers Sample Deadline: Friday, June 1, 2018
Artist/Writer Notification: June 15, 2018
Writers Preferred Pieces due:June 22, 2018
Writer’s artwork assigned: June 25, 2018
Writers Completion Date: July 15, 2018
Artwork Drop off: Friday, July 27 from 1 – 7 PM or Saturday, July 28 from NOON – 5 PM
Exhibition Date: August 3 – 30, 2018
Opening Reception: Friday, August 3, 2018 5 – 7 PM.
Pick up of Artwork: Friday, August 31 from 1 – 7 PM or Saturday, September 1 from NOON – 5 PM
AWARDS: One set of awards will be given to artists and one to writers.
First Place $200 cash award, Second Place $100, Third Place $50.
Honorable Mention Juror Awards may also be selected at the will also be selected.
JUROR: Panel TBD
There will be one artist Judge Panel and one Writer Panel made up of professionals in each field.
Artist Juror will select the top pieces to be exhibited. The number of selected works will depend on size of submitted works.
Writers Juror panel will select a number of writers to match the number of artworks selected for the exhibition. Writers will be send a link to all artwork selected for the exhibition and have 1 week to select
All artist and writers will be notified by email no later than June 15 of the jury results.
Award winners announced at the Opening Reception on Friday August 3, 5 – 7 PM
- International Call for Artists. Registration is open to all working artists over the age of 18.
- Work must be created in the last 2 years.
- Maximum width for 2D or wall work may not exceed 5 feet in any direction.
- 3D work must fit through a standard door frame when assembled and must be free standing on floor or pedestal.
- Work must not exceed 50 lbs.
ARTIST ENTRY FEE
Artists may submit up to 3 entries for $25. SAA Members and Students with ID receive $5 discount.
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete entry online on the CallforEntry.org website.
- Artists may submit up to 2 images per entry (1 full view and 1 detail or alternative view).
- Each artwork submitted must include an artist statement specific to the piece submitted.
- Your JPG file name must be Artist's Last Name, under-score, and Title. Example: Smith_ScratchMarks2.JPG
ARTWORK DELIVERY & PICK-UP
Accepted works are to be delivered to the SAA Collective gallery on Friday, July 27 from 1 – 7 PM or Saturday, July 28 from NOON – 5 PM. Please contact the gallery to make arrangements if artwork needs to be shipped or if you cannot make the specified drop off dates. Work received after 5 PM on July 28 will not be exhibited
Accepted works must remain for the duration of the exhibition.
WRITERS ENTRY FEE
$25 SAA Members and Students with active ID receive $5 discount.
HOW TO APPLY
- Must submit a selection of 2 writing samples (not exceeding 1000 words each) and a entry form by visiting Springfieldart.org/inblackandwhite
- Works may be submitted as word documents or PDF only.
- Your writing file name must be Last Name First initial - Title. Example: Smith J - Sample 1.PDF
- Writers should make note in their application if they we willing to write for more than one piece.
- Pay submission fee. Student writers must attach a copy of student ID to entry form inorder to receive discount.
- International Call for Writers. Registration is open to all working artists over the age of 18.
- At least one of the writing samples must be created in the last 1 years.
- The final work for In Black and White will be inspired by one of 5 preferred pieces by the writer as selected by the exhibition committee.
- Writing should not contain foul language.
Completed works must be submitted to SpringfieldArt.org by July 15, 2018. Works not submitted by this time will not be included in the exhibition or catalogue.
By submitting work to this exhibition all artists and writers agree to the following terms.
All artists understand that writers will be using the visual and conceptual elements of their work as inspiration for a short writing piece. The artist releases full control of the writing content to the assigned writer and the Springfield Art Association.
All writers agree to create work that is sensitive and respectful to the nature in which the artist’s works was created. All writers agree to write about artwork as assigned to them by the exhibition committee. Writers will be offered a list of top 5 preferred pieces and the committee will attempt to select from those preferred pieces if possible.
The Springfield Art Association reserves the right to photograph and reproduce, in color or black & white, all artworks and writing accepted for this exhibition, regardless of copyright, for educational and/or publicity purposes. Artist and writers retain full copyright of the work.
The Springfield Art Association will retain a 35% commission on all artwork sales directly attributed to the exhibition. All prices set by the artist at the time of entry to include the 35% commission. The price will remain the same for the exhibit as listed on the entry form. Artist may choose to list work not for sale at time of drop off.
The Springfield Art Association will produce an exhibition catalogue which will include an image of the artwork and corresponding writing. All participating artists and writers will receive a complimentary copy of the catalogue. Springfield Art Association will sell copied of the exhibition catalogue to offset the cost of production.
ARTWORK DELIVERY & PICK-UP
Accepted works are to be delivered to the SAA Collective gallery on Friday, July 27 from 1 – 7 PM or Saturday, July 28 from NOON – 5 PM. Please contact the gallery to make arrangements if artwork needs to be shipped or if you cannot make the specified drop off dates. Work received after 5 PM on July 28 will not be exhibited.
Artworks must be picked up at the close of the exhibition, Friday, August 31 from 1 – 7 PM or Saturday, September 1 from NOON – 5 PM or artist must provide return prepaid return shipping paperwork and packaging. Work not picked up within 30 days or received without a prepaid return shipping label will become property of the gallery.