Compass Creative Dramatics partners with school and community organizations to offer quirky, engaging theatre programming designed to provide arts enrichment and cultivate personal growth and character. We strive to provide these organizations an opportunity to enhance their current theatre education and life skills training as well as provide arts programming within schools and organizations with limited arts resources.
Compass Creative Dramatics is looking for 2 Education Interns to join our team for our upcoming summer season. Education interns will work alongside professional teaching artists through observation and assistantship. Interns will gain experience with curriculum development, lesson planning, and teaching children aged 3-18 through collaboration with professional educators.
As this position does not travel outside the Chicagoland area, part-time interns provide their own housing. A stipend of $200 will be paid upon completion of the internship.
Tentatively, the internship dates are May 1st - September 10th. The beginning and end dates can be a little flexible. Hours average between 15 and 20 per week. Hours are often flexible.
Twice a week for approximately 6 weeks of the internship (July – Aug), interns will be responsible for teaching classes at a Chicago Parks District location. This will be the only portion of the responsibilities that require a rigid schedule. These classes will in the afternoons for approximately 3- 4 hours per day twice a week.
A successful candidate will:
- Attend training and observation sessions intended to build interns' knowledge and skill sets.
- Teach short classes at a Chicago Park District location. A number of these classes are either taught with or observed by other CCD staff to assist in interns' training.
- Observe and assist teaching at our week-long summer camp programs in the Chicagoland area.
- Assist theatre staff in program curriculum development and lesson planning.
- Assist with classroom prep and other administrative duties. There will be a fair amount of "behind-the-scenes" work that interns will assist the CCD team with throughout the summer.
We take our interns through the process of learning and building their skill sets as educators in small steps and work to ensure that everyone is feeling confident in their teaching abilities before teaching on their own.
Long-term goals of our education internship
Our education internship program is designed to train and offer experience to artists who show promise as educators and who have expressed desire to grow as teaching artists while supporting our team. We want serve the educational and artistic community at large by helping develop new teaching artists and offering training for those who may be interested in growing their skills with CCD beyond their internship.
While our internships guarantee no future role or employment with CCD, many who have completed internships and apprenticeships have been offered additional teaching and administrative freelance roles with us once their internships were complete.